Tech Play 3: Creativity Tools

    Creativity in the classroom is one of my favorite things to encourage my students to do. When my students can be creative and showcase their learning through their creativity, I usually see a different side of them. I believe that creativity assists in creating a thriving learning environment. New technology is developed daily, and in recent years a lot of the technology has been geared towards academics. COVID has made schools re-think their expenses and budget more money towards technology. Many schools now have one device per student. It is a great time to introduce more technology into our classrooms. Students, teachers, and parents are on a roll. We are innovating education, and we need to keep it going. 

    This week I had the opportunity to explore different online tools that encourage creativity in my classroom. I can quickly put these into action with my students, aside from the price, which they are pretty reasonable. I like two of three so much that if I cannot get the school to cover the cost, I will be applying for grants. 


Exploring different tools


Prezie: If you are familiar with PowerPoint, this is very similar. Students and teachers can create non-linear presentations by using a zooming kind of motion. Students can choose a template and adapt it, or they can choose a blank template. Students can collaborate on the presentation by inviting others to edit. Images and videos can be added to the presentation. PowerPoint has been around for a while, and this is just a fresh look. Students can create a presentation on a specific topic and present their knowledge. As the students create and add to their presentation, they continue to learn.  

Storybird: I love this tool and wish I would have known about it a lot sooner. Students of all grade levels can create their online storybook. Storybird uses artwork to inspire and scaffold that gets the students writing. Teachers can create assignments and give grades. Storybird is safe and secure for students. Students can interact and work with other students by inviting them to collaborate and post comments on their storybooks. There is no free version, and only a free trial is available. Once the license has been purchased, students can log in using their school Google accounts. One of these tool's many affordances is that every storybook will have a shareable link or be downloaded as a PDF. If the students, teachers, or parents wanted to have something tangible, they could get it as a hardcover book. This website integrates technology while supporting reading and writing skills. 

Glogster: Is an online platform in which students and teachers of all ages can create interactive online posters. This student-centered online tool promotes students to develop their interpretation of a topic by showing what they have learned and increasing their knowledge. This interactive online poster creates a visual of students' understanding and skill mastery through the use of online resources, text, hyperlinks, and embedded multimedia. Students can share their online posters with other students through social media or shared through a class platform such as Canvas, Google Classroom, or a class blog. Glogster is easy to use and perfect for every subject. 

    I had a difficult time deciding which tool to focus on for this blog. I am planning to integrate Storybird and Glogster into my classes and, soon, the library. 


How does it fit the TPACK Model?


    I believe that both Storybird and Glogster fit the TPACK model effectively. However, I have chosen Glogster to apply the TPACK Model. Using Glogster, my students can implement what they have learned to their virtual online posters. An affordance of Glogster is that this can be applied to every subject content. I can also see it being applied to their specials classes. One of the many examples that I can use Gloster this upcoming week is to have my students create an online virtual poster on the human impact on the environment, such as deforestation, pollution, and fossil fuel burning. They will include what these changes have done, such as low air quality, undrinkable water, and climate change.  

Students will also create a virtual poster about perimeter, area, and volume for a rectangle, square, cube, and rectangular prism in math class. Students will include visuals, formulas, examples, and models to demonstrate their knowledge. 

    For both of these online virtual posters, students will have a rubric. However, they will have full freedom on what their posters look like and what text and multimedia they decide to include. The topic should be fully explained in one location. 

    As a teacher, I can create virtual posters that include all the resources needed in one poster rather than making my students copy notes and run multiple copies of handouts. An affordance is that teaching a lesson would be way more efficient and organize since I can have everything in one location. Once a poster is created for a topic, it can be easily reused by updating and adapting it for different student groups. 

    In the library, I would have the students "Glog that Book!" After reading a book instead of a dull book report, students can create a visual report and share the book they read with their classmates. Not only would this be engaging, but it is also a great way to check for comprehension. In school, the students always get excited about going to the library. A library is a place where students feel freedom as they get to choose their books. I would like for students to continue to enjoy going to the library even when doing academics. The plan is to enjoy this so much that they do not feel like they are doing school work. 

    Being a bilingual teacher, sometimes it is hard to find computer programs, websites, or apps that are adequate for my students. Another affordance of Glogster is that it is not limited to English. 

Glogster is a great tool that allows teachers and students to use technology in the classroom in a distinct way. It is perfect for a regular classroom setting or virtual learning. Any language, any grade, any learning style!  


How does Glogster fit into the SAMR model?


Substitution: Instead of a worksheet, teachers create a poster with text and images that give students directions for assignments, activities, and projects.

Augmentation: Virtual online poster is created by the teacher for the students about a topic or unit instead of a boring text handout or notes. 

Modification: Glogster is used by the students to showcase their learning by creating an interactive online virtual poster using text, hyperlinks, and multimedia.

Redefinition: Students are not using a poster board to create a poster on a specific topic. Instead, students use text, hyperlinks, and multimedia to share their learning and knowledge with others using their student blog, e-portfolio, class platform, email, or social media, making their virtual online posters available worldwide. 


Creativity tools in the classroom are vital.


    Creativity tools in the learning environment are essential. Students are not limited to what software programs command or guide the students to do. Creativity tools such as Glogster and Storybird encourage kids to transform their knowledge and learning into an original final product and representation of them. I believe that it is my job to allow and find opportunities for my students to be creative, share, and collaborate with others. Overall, I think students are more open to learning when they have choices and freely expressing their gained knowledge. We need to promote problem-solving skills by allowing our students to think outside the box, and we can do this by embracing technology in our schools.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tech Play 2 E-portfolio