Tech Play 4: Info Lit or Content Objects


Content Objects 


I found this assignment to be quite useful. I am currently a 5th grade elementary in a growing school district. The school district has purchased licenses for different software and websites for our students to have access to. The idea behind these products is for intervention and enrichment for our students. However, regardless of what teachers think is best for their students, it becomes mandatory. The affordances of some of the software are minimum. Our school CT would run reports at the end of the week of the usage of each of those programs. A long e-mail with the teachers' names and minutes students were logged in was sent out to the entire school, including administrators. In other words, wherein those lists do you want your name to be at. The green highlighted "good job" list or the red highlighted "we are keeping our eyes on you" list. 

I have made my classroom technology-driven, which has been great for creating, researching, and collaborating. However, when it comes to using content objects during my instruction, it is limited. This assignment has given me knowledge about specific content software or websites that can be used during whole group mini-lessons, small groups, intervention, and enrichment. I now can go to my school principal and explain some of these programs' affordances and how it fits into the TPACK model. I feel that principals are more likely to listen if you give them solutions rather than go and complain.  

I currently teach math and science, so this was my focus when looking for websites that would benefit my students. Some of these were not so easy to fully explore since purchasing licenses is entirely necessary. I did research and watched their introduction videos. I also reached out to other teacher friends to see if they were familiar with any of these programs and their thoughts. 


Imagine Math Facts - many of my students are still struggling with simple think fast computation such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. Imagine Matha Facts helps the students become more math fluent with engaging activities (gameplaying while solving problems). I believe my students would like it, but it is only good for math fluency. Maybe not as fun, but Xtra Math will accomplish the same for free!  


Dimension U- From what colleagues tell me, kids love it and beg to play. 

This is a first-person multiplayer game that is available for math or literacy. The program supports common core standards for grades third to ninth grade. I could create grade level or class tournaments to make it even more engaging to kids. Everyone likes a bit of competition. However, I do not think that it fits the TPACK model. 


Education Galaxy - This engaging computer program builds-up assessment proficiency. One of the most incredible things that I liked about this program is that it is perfect for my bilingual students. Educational Galaxy is not built on common core standards. Instead, it is created for each state's standards for math, science, and reading. Students go through learning sessions, get asked questions. If the student gets the answer correct, they automatically the student is rewarded with gameplay. However, if the student is incorrect, a video with an alien will explain. The main issue I have with Education Galaxy is the cost, but I also think it can replace other programs, and the cost would be manageable.  


Discovery Education - Discovery Education is a useful tool for math, science, and social studies. The program has readings, animations, audio clips, images, and videos. Discovery education also has premade lessons and activities that can be assigned to kids. I like the possibilities, and maybe I would need training for this because it just does not seem user-friendly. Perhaps it's just me and my lack of training in Discovery Education. I feel like this is more gear to the teacher, to be used as something to enhance the district's curriculum. I can find similar videos and images at no cost by searching the internet.   


For this assignment, I am going to explore further Education Galaxy. However, I still have a lot of interest in exploring Dimension U further at a later time. Dimension U seems like something that the kids would really enjoy, but I just do not think that I can fully align it to the TPACK model. 


Alright, before digging more into Educational Galaxy, I got to express what I do not like. I do not like the fact that is attached to the word "assessment." Unfortunately, we know that nowadays, everything is based on standardized testing. However, we have no control over it. I do not believe in teaching the test. Education Galaxy's marketing point makes it seem that it is test prep. But that is just it, I see more than that. I believe that Education Galaxy is the best of both worlds. I also think that if you teach the standards and students master the skills, they will be ready.  

Education Galaxy can be used in a variety of ways. I can see myself using it closer to the STAAR test as a refresher for students, and give me plenty of data to know where I need to review and intervene. I am able to quickly create and assign individualized lessons for my students. I can teach a lesson, assign differentiated assignments, and check for understanding. Based on the result, I can assign an Education Galaxy video lesson, followed by a lesson. During the lesson, the students answer questions, and if they get it correct, they get to earn a quick gameplay time that, as they say," enhances not distracts." If the question is answered incorrectly, then immediately an explanation is given. I love this! Sometimes, with a class of 26, there could be many misconceptions. The sooner the correction is made, the better. Education Galaxy also includes a diagnostic for each of the subjects. Education Galaxy will create an individualized study plan for each of the students. In a student-centered classroom, students need to have accountability by setting their personal goals. I believe that keeping students motivated, will lead them to success, and that is exactly what the teacher, along with Educational Galaxy do. Like video games, students receive stars, unlock levels, and rankings as they pass skills. Education Galaxy allows students to compete against each other scores as they advance through their learning plan.  


TPACK model?

Technology: Educational Galaxy is a computer website or application that is educational and engaging. 

Pedagogy: Students are engagingly solving problems, analyzing, observing, and answering questions created for their specific needs and instructional language. 

Content: Education Galaxy is build based on each state's standards. Therefore, all TEKS for my 5th graders that are on grade level, below grade level, or above grade level are taught.  


I would incorporate Education Galaxy in my classroom by having students work on skills that need mastery and create individualized lessons for each of them to accomplish this. Students have different learning styles, and I believe that while Education Galaxy might not be ideal for 100% of students, the majority will have notable gains from this engaging and competitive educational program. 

I can push my students' English proficiency, and use the Spanish of Education Galaxy for support while using the correct academic language. My bilingual kids can easily change between English and Spanish as needed. 

During our remote learning, I could assign my students assignments in Education Galaxy during their asynchronous time. That way, if it is after school hours, and I cannot give them immediate feedback Education Galaxy in the personalized study plan will not let students continue without providing an explanation and giving them more opportunities to master the skill. This will help avoid frustrated parents and students. 


Affordances:

Individualized study plans

Personalized assignments

Immediate feedback 

Available in English and Spanish for students by the click of a button

Created for Texas's standards 

Immediate feedback

Immediate correction to misconceptions

Engaging

Rewarding and competitive 

Students can set goals and easily track them.

Data reports available for teachers 

Available for math, science, and reading

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tech Play 2 E-portfolio